WRITE YOUR SHORT STORY: FROM CONCEPT TO COMPLETION
Sally Cranswick, author, story coach
Monday 22–Friday 26 January 10.00 am–12:00 pm COURSE FEES R1 500; Staff and students R750
Maximum number of participants 20
The short story is a powerful form of creative work and can explore big themes in a small space. During this in- person course we will discuss wonderful short stories – why they work, how they work, and we will write our own short stories. We will explore the essential elements of writing short fiction: theme, character, structure, story and setting. Each session will consist of presentations, group discussions and writing exercises.
After the course, writers will have the opportunity to publish their short stories on the UCT Summer School Writers’ Forum website.
Anyone interested in exploring short story, creativity and writing is welcome to join. As always, our aim is to come together as a creative community whilst writing towards our goals.
- Where do I start? The essence of short story, generating ideas and finding a starting point.
- Character building Creating memorable characters for short story.
- Breaking barriers How voice and style can create tension and excitement.
- Theme and structure Binding your beginning, middle and end together with theme.
- I’ve written a story – now what? Self-editing essentials, short-story markets and the chance to read your story ‘out loud’.